The warning signs that you or a family member’s wound needs to be seen by your doctor or a health care professional are:
- Pain and Heat: Wounds that are red, swollen, hot to touch and very painful
- Odour: Wounds with a strange or unpleasant smell
- Excess Fluid: Wounds that have a thick, yellowish fluid
- Slow Healing: Wounds taking longer than a month to heal or keep returning
- Pressure of Chronic Disease and/or Ageing: People over 65 years and/or with chronic diseases such as diabetes, vascular disease are more at risk
If the person is a diabetic they may have raised blood sugar levels.